The day started off with seminar class from 9 to 10:30. After class I headed back to the cottage, where Mollie and I made a great discovery. Thanks to Ross, who was smart enough to move one of the wireless routers closer to our cottages, Cottage 4 now has wireless internet! I took advantage of the wireless access to answer emails and catch up on a bit of homework. My homeworking was interrupted by more great news: Jess came in with a package for me! I was thrilled to recieve a package from mom and dad full of essentials: mocassins, a party dress, mac-n-cheese, beef jerky, and best of all...SPRINKLES! Thank you Mom and Papa!
Later than afternoon, I was able to check off one item on my list of things to do before I die when we went horseback riding in Ireland. In my opinion, the best way to see Ireland is definitly from the back of a horse.
Meet Ross: he is a beautiful Irish Cob: a mix between a Connamara pony and an Irish draft horse, although I'm fairly certain he is mostly draft, because he is a "tank!" Ross is 15 years old, but apparently still quite the jumper....I did not test him to find out. We had a bit of a power struggle at the beginning of our ride, but by the end Ross and I were friends and he put up with my inexperience as a rider.
We ventured out slowly for the first part of our ride, just enjoying the scenery an
d getting acquainted with our mounts. Eventually, those of us who had signed on for the 2 hour ride were able to take a few side trails and start trotting! I certainly felt my inexperience while we were trotting, but lucky for me, Mallory has years of experience as a riding instructor, and she gave me some on-the-go instructions. By the end of
the ride, I was at least partially successful at "posting," which is standing up and down in the saddle along with the horse's stride. At one point, we even got up to a cantor for a few strides! Also, we were riding English, which I discovered is much different than Western, the riding style I am used to and prefer. While we were riding, we met up with a family of horses in a pasture along the side of the road, and the two playful foals wanted to run with us. Riding along, I found a wonderful sense of contentment...God is so good!
After returning from our ride, it was officially Twins Time! Some of the more tech-saavy guys on our trip set up the projector in our class room so we could all enjoy watching the game on line. A few of us stayed up until 2:45 am to watch all 12 innings, but it was totally worth it! Last night was probably the first time since I've been in Ireland that I've really wished I was at home! But, if I couldn't join the 55,000 fans at the Dome, watching the game in Ireland has got to be the 2nd best option! I'll continue to keep up with games as much as I can over here, and I hope everyone at home will cheer twice as loud for me!
I'm thinking of Grandma Joan today and would very much appreciate if everyone could please postpone any more sickness/injuries/crisis until I get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment